The Department of State Division of Building Standards and Codes (DBSC) Code Enforcement Disaster Assistance Response (CEDAR) Program provides requesting communities with timely, appropriate post-disaster assistance as part of the statewide coordinated effort under the leadership of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services Office of Emergency Management, and in accordance with Executive Law 2-B. The program’s initial disaster response focuses on performing Rapid Evaluation Safety Assessments of damaged structures in affected communities for use as part of the application process to request federal disaster assistance through FEMA. The CEDAR program’s long-term disaster response will provide a unified method that allows communities to access the broad range of resources available within the Department of State, and, with the cooperation of other state agencies and private partners, resources beyond the Department of State.
Who can be a CEDAR Team Volunteer?
- Certified Code Enforcement Officials
- Certified Building Safety Inspectors
- Registered Design Professionals
- Others with specialized skills, knowledge or abilities
What is the process to volunteer?
- Complete two National Incident Management System (NIMS) prerequisite courses (ICS-700 Introduction to the National Incident Management System, and ICS-100 Introduction to the Incident Command System) available in a classroom setting or online.
- Information on accessing the online courses, FEMA course eligibility toward annual in-service training credits, and receiving your FEMA Transcript can be found at:
Step 2 – APPLY
Complete and submit the CEDAR Application
Complete and submit the Employer Release Form. This verifies that your employer will allow you to respond to CEDAR activations.
Step 3 – TRAIN
- Successfully complete the 6-hour orientation training. The training sessions are scheduled as needed throughout the State.
For More Information, Contact:
Eric C. Bradshaw
Emergency Management Coordinator
NYS Department of State
Division of Building Standards and Codes
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Ave, Suite 1160
Albany, NY 12231-0001
Phone: (518) 474-4073
Fax: (518) 486- 4487
Note: NYSSPE facilitates posting on this blog, but the views and accounts expressed herein are those of the author(s) and not the views or accounts of NYSSPE, its officers or directors whose views and accounts may or may not be similar or identical. NYSSPE, its officers and directors do not express any opinion regarding any product or service by virtue of reference to such product or service in this blog.
Leave a Reply